Thursday, May 15, 2008

Taking Stock

That seems like a good first step. I am not completely ignorant about where our money goes. I've kept better accounting in the last 17 months than I ever had before, but we still end up short. A lot. Obviously, the more we extend ourselves with credit, the shorter we come up with cash. All it takes is one cut in income or one unexpected expense to put us right over the edge. I would say that we are over the edge. I think we are at the point where we are going to be unable to meet all our monthly obligations.

I am actively seeking a second job. So far I've applied at eleven retail stores and I have only one interview. I find that so shocking because all of my job experience until the last seven years has been in retail. For seven years I've been in clerical work. How can twenty years of retail not have any value? I suppose it's a combination of a couple of things. First, the stores may truly not be hiring, but I have to say, it used to be that someONE was always hiring. Second, I'm afraid that my current wage may be frightening some potential employers. I need to make it clear that I am not looking to match my current wage! Minimum wage would be fine at this point. Also, I noticed that every retail establishment asks questions about my history as a welfare recipient. Is it a handicap that I don't have a history? Are they trying to hire welfare recipients so they can get tax credits? I need to research that.

Today is payday. I need to sit down with my spreadsheets and my budget and see where I am at. I will probably log in later to give an accounting.

No comments: